Thursday, April 4, 2013

Cheddary Cheesy Cracker Goodness!

     While making this recipe last night, I thought of a good friend of mine who has two children. She tries to feed them organics wherever possible, and I was thinking, I bet they'd love some Cheez-Its. Only one problem, there isn't a USDA organic Cheez-It! Although my recipe isn't using organic ingredients, they can most definitely be used here! I am hoping she reads this and gives them a try! You control the ingredients!


I hate the mark-ups that grocery store chains and manufacturer's make on items nowadays! I don't understand how they can expect us to pay or items when we don't even know what is in them. I know the ingredients list states everything, but most of us need layman's terms. I am giving you fair warning, however, these are SO addicting. I almost wanted to make another batch as soon as the first was cool enough to taste! I couldn't believe how great they came out! They are so cheesy, buttery, and crisp! Although they aren't the most healthy recipe, you could change the cheese to one made with skim milk!

Cheddar Cheese Crackers
Yield: 8 servings (15 crackers)

1 ½ C. sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
½ C. plus 2 tbsp. AP flour
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
¼ C. water


NOTE: This would work best using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, but since I don't have one yet, I made my handheld mixer work!

Combine cheese, butter, salt, and pepper until combined and begins to form small dough balls. 
Add flour and cornstarch and mix until combined. At this point, the mixture will be crumbly.
 Add the water, 1 tbsp. at a time until your dough comes together into a ball. (You may not need the entire amount.) 
Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for about 1 minute or until a ball is formed. Shape into a small disk, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until chilled. (It can be left much longer, but the dough will crack if you try to roll while extremely cold, so take it out about 10 minutes prior to rolling if you are leaving it longer.)

Adjust your oven racks to the upper-middle and lower-middle positions and preheat oven to 375 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Unwrap dough onto a well floured surface and begin rolling to ¼" thickness.

Cut into 1" squares using a knife (I found a pizza cutter works very well for this) Using a toothpick or skewer, poke a hole in the center of each square and transfer to the baking sheet.

Bake for 9 minutes, rotate and switch pans, bake for 9 additional minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet. 


Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 8
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 179.9
  • Total Fat: 12.9 g
  • Cholesterol: 38.0 mg
  • Sodium: 423.4 mg
  • Total Carbs: 9.7 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 0.3 g
  • Protein: 6.4 g

No comments:

Post a Comment