Thursday, March 28, 2013

Simple Potato Soup

Hey y'all! I hope you are all doing well! I'm doing alright, just relaxing at home while I have dinner cooking away in the slow cooker. If the recipe turns out as expected, I will definitely have a post on it with the recipe. Tonight's dinner is not what this post is about. No, what this post is about is how it's spring time here in North Carolina, but we have had freeze warnings and temperatures in the 20s recently. Are you serious, mother nature? Anyways, this weekend is supposed to be much warmer, with highs in the mid-60s, so I wanted to take advantage of a soup...just once more. 
     Don't get me wrong, I can eat soup during spring, summer, fall, or winter, but it's just so much more appealing in the colder months. Let's face it, when it's 95 degrees outside, do you really want to be stuffing your face with 98 degree soup?! I think not. Anyways, for lunch, I decided on some potato soup. I have been craving it recently and decided on making some. I did want to lighten it up a bit, as most classic potato soups have heavy cream. I will tell you this: I succeeded. Give this recipe a try, you won't regret it. You will never miss the cream in this tasty soup! 


Simple Potato Soup

Yields: 2 servings

1 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 garlic clove, minced
1 large potato, cubed
¼ c. onion, chopped
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. dried parsley
¼ c. chicken stock
¼ c. milk
1 tsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. water

     

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic clove and stir for 30 seconds to 1 minute, being careful not to burn the garlic. Next, add the onions and allow to cook until translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. 
Add the potatoes, Italian seasoning, and parsley and cook, stirring frequently about 3 minutes.
Carefully add in the chicken stock and bring to a boil, reduce to simmer. Continue to cook on low heat for approximately 15 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Using a potato masher, break some of the potatoes up. This is optional, but I think it helps add a little more thickness.
 Create a slurry using the cornstarch and water, by mixing them together and adding to the soup. Bring to a boil, once again, and stir for 1 minute. Once you are satisfied with the texture and thickness of your soup, remove from heat and stir in milk!



Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 2
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 214.7
  • Total Fat: 6.6 g
  • Cholesterol: 20.2 mg
  • Sodium: 645.4 mg
  • Total Carbs: 35.1 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 4.9 g
  • Protein: 5.3 g

No comments:

Post a Comment