Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Turkey Sliders!

     On this journey to eat healthier and please Michael with my dinner selections, I've decided to do turkey burgers. They were delicious! Being a lean meat, sometimes turky breast can end up very dry. Making the recipe was simple, using a few tips I learned from one of my idols, Rachael Ray. For example, grating the onion directly into the bowl that contains the meat, you do not lose any of the juices and it adds such a great flavor! Also, the cinnamon adds a cozy warmth that you wouldn't expect in a burger. It's different, but so good. As my mother said, "I've never thought of cinnamon as a savory spice", but it works SO well. Most turkey burger recipes that I have seen contain a lot of fresh herbs. I like the flavor of the turkey meat, so I cut the herbs out.

Turkey Sliders
Yield: 12-16 sliders

1 lb. ground turkey breast
1 small onion, grated
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Place ground turkey breast in large bowl. Grate the onion directly over the meat Add the soy sauce, black pepper, and cinnamon. Mix to combine with your hands (I find this easiest) but if you want to use a spoonula, you can. Place on a flat surface and divide into fourths. You should be able to get about 4 sliders our of each section, depending on how big you make them.

1) Make the sliders a little larger than your buns, as they will shrink as they cook.
2) Once the slider is formed, indent the center. This will allow even cooking.

Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill sliders for approximately 3-4 minutes on each side. Once finished, place on slider buns or small dinner rolls. Top with whatever you like!

I chose mustard, ketchup, and a slice of plum tomato. Michael chose grilled mushrooms, mayonnaise, and ketchup. These were divine! With no cheese, they are even more healthy!

Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 14
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 38.5
  • Total Fat: 0.6 g
  • Cholesterol: 13.6 mg
  • Sodium: 446.3 mg
  • Total Carbs: 2.6 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 0.6 g
  • Protein: 5.7 g


No comments:

Post a Comment