Friday, September 21, 2012

Last taste of summer.

     Ah- the leaves are beginning to change, the air is getting a little more crisp, and the temperatures are cooling down. These are all signs that fall is coming and I, for one, couldn't be more excited. Fall is my favorite time of year and I get as excited as a kid in a candy store when this time of year rolls around.
     I think it has to do with all the holidays bunched so close together along with spending time with family, which everyone seems to do more around the holidays. Is it just me or do people also seem a lot more kind in the fall? (Let's pretend those crazy Christmas shoppers don't exist for a moment, shall we?)
     Although I REALLY enjoy the flavors of the fall, I wanted to hang on to the summer just a bit longer. I think summer foods should be a little more light and salads are the epitome of "light". I decided on a cucumber, tomato, and fresh mozzarella salad which was to die for. I just drizzled a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar over mine, but if you have the time, I would recommend making a balsamic glaze! (Simply reduce balasmic vinegar over medium heat until thickened) DELICIOUS!




Final Summer Salad

Yield: 2 servings

1 cucumber, ¼" slices  (peeled or not, your choice)
3-4 plum tomatoes, chopped
2 oz. fresh mozzarella, cubed
½ stalk green onion, finely chopped
1½ tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2-3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar

In a medium bowl, combine cucumber, tomatoes, onion, and mozzarella. You may either whisk together the olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a separate bowl, or pour each directly over your vegetables. Whichever way you prefer, gently toss to coat.

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment