Sunday, September 30, 2012

Simply Biscuits!

     I'm sitting here watching the Sunday game (go Panthers) with Michael and am FINALLY getting to write this post about a recipe I made the other day for some plain ole' biscuits. They were pretty good! As I was lying in bed at 4:30AM a few days ago, I could NOT get back to sleep. I'm not really sure why, but I remembered that Michael had hinted that he wouldn't mind having breakfast cooked for him before work. Since I couldn't sleep, I figured what better time to make breakfast than now? One problem- NO milk.
     I was thinking I could find a dairy-free recipe, but all the ones I found, seemed really complicated. I don't care who you are, complicated at 4:30AM is ridiculous! Nonetheless, I actually found one that used nonfat milk powder...which I had! These weren't as fluffy as I would have liked, but they definitely worked in a pinch. Hopefully those of you who try these, won't resort to bisquick again!


Simple Biscuits
Yields: 10 biscuits

2 cups flour
½ tsp. salt
3 tsp. baking powder
4 tbsp. butter, softened
¼ cup nonfat powdered milk
¾ cup water
(If you do not have powdered milk, just use ¾ cup of milk.)
1 tbsp. sugar

Preheat your oven to 450°F. Spray with cooking spray. Mix the powdered milk and water together in a small bowl, set aside. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a large bowl. Cut in the butter using a fork or a pastry cutter. Once you've achieved a slightly crumbly texture that barely holds together when squeezed, add the powdered milk mixture and mix well. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for approximately 30 seconds. Roll out until approximately 1/2" thick. Cut out biscuits using biscuit cutter, mason jar, pretty much anything round that you'd like. Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Once removed from the oven, brush on a little bit of melted butter if desired.


Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 10
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 139.3
  • Total Fat: 4.9 g
  • Cholesterol: 12.4 mg
  • Sodium: 267.2 mg
  • Total Carbs: 21.0 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 0.7 g
  • Protein: 2.8 g


No comments:

Post a Comment