There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Simply Biscuits!

     I'm sitting here watching the Sunday game (go Panthers) with Michael and am FINALLY getting to write this post about a recipe I made the other day for some plain ole' biscuits. They were pretty good! As I was lying in bed at 4:30AM a few days ago, I could NOT get back to sleep. I'm not really sure why, but I remembered that Michael had hinted that he wouldn't mind having breakfast cooked for him before work. Since I couldn't sleep, I figured what better time to make breakfast than now? One problem- NO milk.
     I was thinking I could find a dairy-free recipe, but all the ones I found, seemed really complicated. I don't care who you are, complicated at 4:30AM is ridiculous! Nonetheless, I actually found one that used nonfat milk powder...which I had! These weren't as fluffy as I would have liked, but they definitely worked in a pinch. Hopefully those of you who try these, won't resort to bisquick again!


Simple Biscuits
Yields: 10 biscuits

2 cups flour
½ tsp. salt
3 tsp. baking powder
4 tbsp. butter, softened
¼ cup nonfat powdered milk
¾ cup water
(If you do not have powdered milk, just use ¾ cup of milk.)
1 tbsp. sugar

Preheat your oven to 450°F. Spray with cooking spray. Mix the powdered milk and water together in a small bowl, set aside. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a large bowl. Cut in the butter using a fork or a pastry cutter. Once you've achieved a slightly crumbly texture that barely holds together when squeezed, add the powdered milk mixture and mix well. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for approximately 30 seconds. Roll out until approximately 1/2" thick. Cut out biscuits using biscuit cutter, mason jar, pretty much anything round that you'd like. Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Once removed from the oven, brush on a little bit of melted butter if desired.


Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 10
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 139.3
  • Total Fat: 4.9 g
  • Cholesterol: 12.4 mg
  • Sodium: 267.2 mg
  • Total Carbs: 21.0 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 0.7 g
  • Protein: 2.8 g


No comments:

Post a Comment