Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pumpkin Oat Cookies!

     Who else is ready for fall?! I KNOW I am. I've already got decorations going up, a fall-inspired candle (Sugared Pecan) flickering in the background and pumpkins GALORE! Okay, I haven't actually bought a pumpkin yet, but I DO have canned pumpkin ready and willing to go into anything! I know, I know, I seem a bit crazy over fall, but I wait an entire year for it! There's something about the fall and winter months that makes me so incredibly happy. I guess that's when all of the best memories are made. Around Thanksgiving and Christmas, tons of time is spent with loved ones, not to mention decorations are flowing non-stop! Michael and I are already trying to determine what our Halloween costumes are going to be this year. We are thinking of doing a "couple" themed costume (Beauty & The Beast, Darth Vader and Queen Amidala, etc.); any suggestions?
 
     On to the recipe, these cookies are SO delicious! They do not contain any butter or oil, so you could almost make them a fat-free cookie, but then it isn't very decadent. Anyways, I used a mixture of white and semisweet chocolate chips and a mixture of dried cranberries and dried raisins for my cookies. They are absolutely delicious. The pumpkin keeps them moist and chewy, without making them too dense. The chocolate chips and dried fruit add a hint of sweetness in every bite. All in all, I'd say these cookies are a winner.

*You will definitely need to remember to flatten these cookies to a shape and size you prefer. Because there is no butter or oil in this recipe, the cookies will not spread when baking, so flattening is a must! Also, the leavening agents don't have anything to react to, so there won't be much rising. It does, however, make the cookies puff up ever so slightly and I'd miss it if it weren't there!
 
 
PUMPKIN OAT COOKIES
Yields: 13 cookies

1 egg
½ c. pumpkin puree
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ c. chocolate chips
¼ c. dried fruit
¾ c. all-purpose flour
1 ¼ c. oats
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
¼ c. dark brown sugar, packed
¼ c. granulated sugar
 
 
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350F. In a small bowl, combine the egg, vanilla, and pumpkin until blended.
 
In a larger bowl, combine the remaining ingredients until mixed thoroughly.
 
Add the dry mixture all at once to the wet and fold to combine. Avoid over mixing by mixing only until all dry ingredients are moistened.
 
Using a spoon, place the cookie dough on the baking sheet.
 
You will need to flatten them or shape them how you want them and bake for 13 minutes. Allow to cool completely on the baking sheet and transfer to an airtight container.
 
 
Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 13
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 117.6 
  • Total Fat: 3.5 g    
  • Cholesterol: 14.2 mg
  • Sodium: 63.7 mg
  • Total Carbs: 21.3 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 1.3 g
  • Protein: 1.7 g

No comments:

Post a Comment