Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pork and Potato Stew

     I wanted to make some creamy and delicious potato soup. Michael asked me if I was going to put any meat in it or anything, but I didn't have any plans to. I decided to do so, that way he would enjoy it a bit more. I thought about putting some crispy bacon in it to add some savory salty goodness, but I didn't have any on hand. (I know, I know. I don't keep bacon on hand.) Anyways, I did have pork. Soooo, I just cut up a piece of pork into bite-size pieces and it worked just fine. This would definitely be delicious with bacon, what isn't!? This soup is definitely hearty for dinner, but isn't so heavy you can't enjoy it for lunch the next day (which would be fabulous!)
 
     I did end up adding a few tablespoons of cornstarch with water to make this a bit thicker, because I did want a stew, more than I did a soup. Either way, it is delicious.

Potato-Pork Stew
Yields: 4 servings

2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
½ lb. pork, cubed
1-1½ lbs. potatoes, cubed
1 medium carrot, julienned
1 (14.5 oz.) can of diced tomatoes, undrained
½ tsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. paprika
2 bouillon cubes (chicken, beef, vegetable)
3 cups water

 

In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and sauté until translucent.
 
Add the garlic and stir continuously for 30 seconds, then add the pork and allow to brown a bit before stirring.

 
Allow the pork to brown on all sides before adding the potatoes and carrots. Once the potatoes and carrots have been added, allow them to cook for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
 
 
Next, add the cumin, paprika, and bouillon.
 
Stir for 30 seconds and add the tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce to a low heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender. If you like your soup a bit thicker, you may need to add a bit of cornstarch dissolved in water
 
 
 
Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 4
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 375.9 
  • Total Fat: 12.1 g    
  • Cholesterol: 44.8 mg
  • Sodium: 668.6 mg
  • Total Carbs: 44.4 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 8.2 g
  • Protein: 22.0 g

No comments:

Post a Comment